Business Studies - Level 3
Key Staff: Mr. Main
- Minimum 4 GCSE rades A-C including Maths
Is this a new two year linear Subject?
This course provides a foundation for anyone interested in Business.
It is a passport to university to study any of the business related disciplines
It combines well with most other subjects at A level.
The course we follow is one of the Cambridge Technical suite (OCR )
The course is 50% coursework and 50% exams. The exams can each be retaken once and the best mark counts. The coursework is internally marked within the school, and externally moderated.
The course is graded Dist* (9 grade at A level), Dist (9), Merit (5) and Pass (2)
Key Points About The Course
- Over the two years there are two exams. The Year 12 exam is the most important, carrying double the weight of each of the other unit. It is entitled ‘An Introduction to Business’. At present we plan to take it in January of Yr 12 with the retake in June. The Yr 13 exam is taken in January and June of Yr 13.
- Three units are coursework, allowing students to show their ability and care in the other side of the work. In Year 12 we do the ‘Human Resources’ unit and there will also be one on Marketing and one on Customer Service.
- There is also some real life research on how firms in Crawley go about finding out what the market wants and then providing it.
- No previous knowledge of Business is needed
- The course is practical and hands-on but will also require students to meet deadlines and produce reports in a fairly short space of time.
- An interest in the world around is important, as is the ability to read/watch the media and what is going on.
- A grade C in Maths is needed because of the finance element to the course. This will require students for example to construct profit and loss accounts and to calculate ratios and use them.
- Students are also expected to do independent research and to think and debate for themselves.