Public Services - BTEC
Key Staff: Mrs Hawley
- GCSE Maths and English Level 4 or above.
Key Points About The Course
- A comprehensive course to help you understand the complexities and impact of the UK Public Services on everyday life - National & Local Government, Emergency Services, Armed Services & Voluntary Services.
- A course which will help understand your role & others as a citizen of the UK
- 100% coursework.
- In Y12 you will study 4 units, 2 of 5 credits, 1 of 10 and 1 of 15. 1 - Government, Policies & the Public Services - 10; 7 - International institutions & Human Rights - 5; 2 - Leadership & Teamwork in the PSs - 15; 17 - Police Powers in the PSs - 5.
- In Y13 you will study 2 units, 3 - Citizenship, diversity & the PSs - 15; 12 - Crime & its effects on Society - 10;
- There are some practical assessments throughout the course, eg Teaching a lesson about the passage of a bill through Parliament or 12 practical activities to assess leadership & teamwork.
- There are many resources; text books, newspapers, magazines, internet but it is vital that you listen to or watch the news regularly to be aware of relevant and significant issues.
- Class sizes can vary - over the last few years we have had 20-4
- You will be expected to complete an hour's work for every hour spent in the classroom.
- PS works well with any other subject as it can be used for a future career or just your future life.