Year 10 Work Experience
Dear Parents/Carers of Y10 Students
Y10 Optional Work Experience – Monday 5th to Friday 9th February 2018
We are writing to inform you that students in Y10 have the option, subject to school approval, to complete a work experience placement in the spring term.
The aim of work experience is to give students the opportunity to:
- Experience a working environment
- Learn about the roles and responsibilities of individuals within a workplace
- Discover how an organisation operates within a particular employment sector
It is important that students who want to participate make every effort to find their own placements by
- Northbrook College Website. All students will be given help to use the Northbrook College website during their tutor time this term, making it easy for them to research and find a potential placement. However, places can be limited and therefore students need to be proactive in selecting a potential placement to avoid disappointment.
- Alternatively, if students wish to be placed with an organisation/relatives not on the Northbrook College database they must provide Mrs Willis with details of the proposed placement so that the necessary risk assessment and paperwork can be completed.
There are some prohibited placements. These include funeral directors, tattoo/piercing studios, tidal water based work and lone working e.g. child-minding. This is not an exhaustive list and any questions about safety would be raised before placements can be fully progressed.
It is important to note that students cannot be paid for doing work experience. Also students cannot use the work experience week as holiday. If your child decides not to participate in the optional work experience, or the placement cannot go ahead for any reason, then full school attendance is required and the school curriculum will be followed as normal.
If you wish your child to undertake work experience please submit a payment of £10.00 via ParentPay as soon as possible but no later than Monday 8th January 2018. If you do not have an account for ParentPay please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org who will be able to set up an account for you. If your child has been unsuccessful in securing a placement from the choices they submit then you will receive a full refund.
If however you choose to withdraw your child from the experience once an assessment has already been undertaken by Northbrook then the payment cannot be refunded.
Please find enclosed the following:
• Parent Contact/Medical Form – Ms Lawless will be in touch if there are any medical issues that require more in-depth consideration to ensure suitable arrangements can be put in place.
• Permission Slip attached to this letter.
Could we ask you to please return the Permission Slip and Parent Contact/Medical Form no later than
Tuesday 7th November 2017. Failure to return completed paperwork will result in us being unable to process your child’s application for placement.
We hope that we can work together with parents/carers to provide support to students throughout the whole process. When researching potential work experience placements please be aware that it is the parents/carers responsibility to arrange transport to and from the placement. The college will not normally be able to provide transport or pay for transport. If the placement does involve an unfamiliar journey then the student will be expected to have undertaken a practice journey in their own time before going on placement to ensure they have familiarised themselves with the route and the timings of local transport etc. If your child is in receipt of Pupil Premium then the school will support you with payment and/or transport, if required.
If you are unsure about whether you are eligible for financial support towards transport costs etc of if you have any questions or require further assistance at any stage of the process, please do not hesitate to contact the college via the work experience email email@example.com .
Ms Carole Lawless
Director of Information and Guidance (IAG)